Saturday, March 31, 2012

Adley (our 7 year old) LOVES VeggieTales.  Fortunately for us (and our finances), our church has an amazing video library choc-full of them!!  Each Sunday we go to the library and Adley gets to check out up to 5 DVDs to bring home for the week.  If we forget or don't make it down there on time...well, let's just say hell hath no fury like a 7 yr. old deprived of his VeggieTales.  The lady at the library and Adley have become very attached to one another, so she knows if she sees us in church, but we don't make it right down to the library after SS, she holds it open for us so we can all have a happy day.  When there's a new VeggieTale that comes out, she is sure to point it out or has even been known to put it on "reserve" for her special little friend, Adley.  This week, she pointed out the new VT "Robin Good" to Adley and he quite willingly added it to his stack for the week.  It doesn't take long for him to memorize them and/or to pick up on a phrase and then pepper us with the phrase about, um, I don't know...7,000 times a day.

So, the phrase for this week has been "Watch out for the giants!"  He has told just about everyone he's come in contact with the past 2 days to beware those pesky giants.  And, they all have promised that they will be keeping watch.  As I made my promise last night to "watch out for the giants!" after re-tucking him into bed, I pondered the "giants" in my life.  I thought about them some more on my run this morning.  I came up with quite a list of "giants" that I need to be watching out for, lest they smash me like a bug:

    *  The control giant
    *  The angry giant
    *  The bad attitude giant
    *  The big ugly negative giant
    *  The giant 13 year old   (hee!)
    *  The giant of over-commitment
    *  The make-it-all-look-really-good giant
    *  The I can do it all by myself giant
    *  The giant of fear
    *  The peer pressure giant
    *  The this-adoption-is-too-big giant
...and the list goes on and on...

So, I'm making a commitment to both Adley and myself that I am definitely going to be watching out for these (and other!) giants that may loom "dangerous" in my life.  I know that MY GOD is MUCH bigger than any of those giants who might happen to try to trounce me and will fight them boldly with the armor of God!  (and it might not hurt to watch the VT to see how Robin Good handled them!)

Ephesians 6:10 - 18
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.  18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

No comments:

Post a Comment